Great! Another item to cross off my sewing ‘to do’ list. These pyjamas were really easy to make, using only 1 meter of fabric, this is how I made them….
I folded Darcy’s leggings in half and drew round them onto brown paper, adding extra for seam allowance and the elastic casing. I didn’t bother measuring, just did it by eye, cos that’s how I roll!
I cut out the pattern and pinned it to a really cute jersey fabric, which reminded me of a Cath Kidston print, but mine was a lot cheaper from a shop in Walthamstow market.
I placed the pattern along the fold of my fabric and pinned it down. I don’t exactly know why I pinned it to the fabric seeing as I had my beloved rotary cutter in my sewing case. Derrr!!!! I cut out 2 matching pieces.
I liked the idea of a cuff at the bottom of Darcy’s pyjamas, so I cut some black jersey just because I had some spare, I would have used red if I had any.
The width of the cuff is slightly narrower than the width of the pyjama bottoms, just to have some gathering around the seam. The height was judged by eye (no need for accurate measuring, these are easy pyjamas right!)
Look! I’ve folded my pieces and it’s all beginning to take shape. I get kinda excited at this point. (Scout also wanted a piece of the action.)
With right sides together I sewed the two leg pieces together from the waist to the crotch.
I folded the cuff in half lengthways, then pinned it to the bottom of the pyjamas with the raw edges aligned, then sewed the cuff to the bottom of each pyjama leg. Simple!
Then I sewed the inner leg all the way round from cuff to cuff.
Oh yes! they look better on a natural wood background.
Now for the waistband.
I cut the elastic to the same measurement as Darcy’s waist. I folded, pressed and pinned the casing just a bit wider than my elastic, then using my double needle to give them a more professional finish, (Oh yeah! I know how to use a double needle, and I like it.) I sewed the waist casing leaving a gap of about 1 inch to thread the elastic through.
Using a safety pin to guide the elastic, I threaded it through the casing, sewed the ends together and closed the casing. Voilà!
For the pyjama top I bought a long sleeved red t-shirt, (I’m allowed to buy basic t-shirts remember,) cut out a large heart from the remaining mushroom fabric and ironed interfacing to the back. There wasn’t that much fabric left over, partly because my fabric was cut short by 5cm, yes 5cm and I’m still bitter. Note to self: always stand over the person cutting the fabric and watch them like a hawk.
I appliquéd the heart to the t-shirt so that it started at the front and continued round the back.
For Scout’s pyjama bottoms I did the same except I drew round some long shorts and hemmed the bottom instead. As she’s a rapidly growing girl, this style should still fit her for years to come. They will look shorter and shorter as the months go by but I imagine they’ll still fit when she’s five.
That’s it, all done! Told you it was easy.